Thursday, May 8, 2014

Getting Started for the summer

Ahh you know spring is in the air when you get your cool season veggies like spinach, beets, and kohlrabi in the ground and then it snows two days later.  But never fear they shouldn't take any harm from getting a little snow on them considering they haven't even started growing.

But it really reminds a fellow just how temperamental the weather can be in my neck of the woods.  You never really know from day to day whether it is going to be nice or not.  All you can do really is just plant and hope for the best.  It also doesn't hurt to plant things that have a known tolerance for cold and as such wont really be bothered by a few swings in temperature.

It was funny though to be out and about town today though and seeing all the stores that have home and garden centers and outdoor plants for sale just scurrying trying to cover plants up or bring them inside.  It did give me a certain amount of pleasure know that my plants were safe and suited to the climate.

But the time has come for pictures and for me to stop jawing on about random things.


Here we have my new finally crafted raised garden bed made from recycled lumber that has been filled with around 8 inches of soil and compost to make a nice fine growing medium.  When I got done building this and patting myself on the back for a job well done I then realized oh crap now I have to fill this thing.  About 4 trips later to pick up soil and compost I finally had it filled up enough to plant.

Lets just say my next raised beds aren't nearly this high so they will need much less soil to fill.  While having less high quality topsoil may affect my production it also defiantly doesn't hurt my wallet as much.


What you see above are my vague attempts at building with a adobe/cob in a attempt to make a garden bed that is both durable (wont rot like my wood one will) and easy to remove when it needs to be.  The nice thing about building with them (providing they hold up) is that when the time comes to move on they can be broken up soaked in water until they fall apart.  The remnants can then be spread on the yard will nothing to worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment