Thursday, September 20, 2012

My baby steps in food preservation.

Hello again all my fellow environmentalist. 

I wanted to share the news about a recent huge step for me in my life.  While many of you out there are doing this right now and have done it for years this was my first foray into the world of food preservation beyond the refrigerator/freezer.

Yesterday I completed my first solo canning session.  I made of  six pint jars of Bread and Butter pickles as they are called and I can't wait to see the results.  The recipe I used calls for 6 weeks of sitting before the pickles are ready to consume so that puts of my first taste test to the end of October but I cannot wait.

This may seem like a trivial thing to be excited about to you seasoned canning veterans but for me it is but a first step on my journey to live a sustainable life.  The technique of canning along with other forms of preservation like drying, salting and root cellering are critical in my desire to build a more sustainable down to "Earth" life.  This coming spring I plan on growing food on a massive scale in order to feed a hungry group of four people on mostly what we produce.  This goal might be to much for me this first year as i have much to learn about growing food in this new area but i know my past experiences will serve me well.

 This early step of pickling and canning cucumbers is simply the beginning of what I know will be a lifelong journey.  No one person can learn or do everything that they might need in order to support themselves and their loved ones comfortably but i am making it a life's journey to have a go at it.

If you are like me at the beginning of a journey toward self sufficiency and sustainability i wish you the best of luck.  If you are seasoned veteran i welcome and advice or comments you might have. 

I will let you know how my first experiment in canning turns out in six weeks time.

Until next time my fellow environmentalists.  

No comments:

Post a Comment