Saturday, July 5, 2014

Two Pictures to Help You Appreciate Earth Sheltering Techniques

So on this nice hot day I came home to find out again just how much I love the fact that I live in a basement apartment.  While it is not the ideal home that I will have one day in the far distant future it has two redeeming features.

-Its price

-The fact that it is 3/4 underground

While the price has nothing in particular to do with this post the fact that it is partially underground does.
Through the "magic" of earth sheltering the inside of my no air conditioning apartment is currently 20+ degrees cooler than it is outside right at the time of this posting.  Lets just say that the fact I don't have to pay for air conditioning is great.

Why we don't take advantage of earth sheltering more in modern building is something that I don't understand when the benefits of it are obvious, and more importantly free to use.

If you are still doubting of the temperature benefits of earth sheltered housing check out the photos I snapped today.

This classy thermometer is inside my apartment in the kitchen

This guy hangs in the covered steps leading out of my apartment.


Photos do really speak 1000 words don't they.  If this doesn't convince you right now that earth sheltering is the next best thing since sliced bread then I got nothing else that will.

If you want to learn more about earth sheltering check out 3 Reasons to Build a Earth Sheltered House or the book.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment