Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Two Documentaries to Inspire You to Change Your Life

Over the years I have read and watched as many sustainable lifestyle books and documentaries as I could in order to find what I could be doing in order to live a more sustainable existence.  While I couldn't begin to narrow down my favorite books as there are so many.  I do have just two documentaries that I can place among my favorites.



No Impact Man   


This documentary follows the life of Colin Beavan as he takes himself, his wife and two year old daughter on a journey to live a no impact life in New York City.

I like this documentary because it starts off as a idea just to live with as minimal impact as possible but it changes into full examination of the modern family and the lifestyle they live.

He and his wife discover by the end of it that living with no electricity and eating only locally grown food while challenging at times comes with its own rewards as well.  In my opinion this movie is a must see for those that want to live a no impact life and those that like a good story about a man, a women and a crazy idea.

I will tell you right now though that this film is not primer on how to live a green, sustainable lifestyle.  While you do see some of the techniques that Colin uses its more about the inter personal conflicts and overcoming the challenges of trying to do this in a modern day city.

Garbage Warrior    

This particular films follows the exploits of a oddball architect living in New Mexico as he strives to make homes out of garbage.  Now it't not as disgusting as it may sound.  He successfully builds homes that provide heating, cooling, water filtration, food and comfortable living all off the grid. Each home is built as it's own self supporting entity that can provide for a family.  

Sounds like a great idea but the local building inspectors and State government do not agree.  So our architect leaves the comfort of his unique life and goes to the state capitol to try and get permission for him to build these homes.  I don't want to ruin the movie for you so I won't say what happens but it is easy to see the brilliance of this man and the validity of the arguments that he makes throughout the movie.

I really love this film for its take on the housing issue that really needs to be addressed in this country. We build housing without regard for climate, sun orientation or environmental cost and that is something that we simply cannot afford to do anymore.  If we even took some of the techniques used in the movie to heart we could significantly reduce the impact that our housing has on the planet.  

But that's enough from me if you have never see these movies and you have even the smallest interests in protecting the Earth then I think they deserve a viewing.

        

No comments:

Post a Comment