Saturday, October 4, 2014

Extending the Growing Season Using Hoop Houses and Cold Frames

I will just say right from the start that using plastic sheeting and PVC tubing to create hoop houses and cold frames does fly in the face of my environmentalist stance.  But as much as I would love to use glass, wood frames and other long lasting and recyclable materials the money isn't available for those materials.  PVC pipe and plastic sheeting is cheaper in the short term and as I am not yet building my own modern homestead I do have to keep a few considerations in mind.
  • My lack of space in the yard
  • The fact that I live in a rental
  • That I am low income
These factors constrict me from doing exactly what I want to so instead I find little cheaters to help me along the way.

I have always been interested in using season extension techniques and my garden this year has finally given me the opportunity to try a couple methods out.

I built both a low tunnel or hoop house and a large cold frame to protect some very late planted tomatoes and Moon and Stars Watermelon.  I am hoping that the extra time under the protection of the hoop house and cold frame with give these plants the time they need to actually produce something.

Since I had wooden garden beds already in place making the hoop house was a easy thing to do.

Materials





Tools Needed

  • Screwdriver
  • Duct tape
  • Hacksaw
  • Marker
  • Tape Measure
Getting Started

My hoops are designed with a 3 foot garden bed in mind so the length of the PVC pipe will be variable depending on your situation.  

  1. To get started first take four the the 3/4 inch 2 hole straps and screw them into the walls on the interior of the the garden bed at 4 foot intervals.
  2. Take your 10 foot PVC pipes and measure, mark and cut them at 90 inches in length
  3. Insert pipes into the 2 hole straps and  bend them till you have both ends secured inside a strap. Repeat steps 3 and four until all hoops are cut and placed. 
  4. Attach the plastic sheeting*
* Step four is more challenging thank it may seem at first glance.  First if all you have a large sheet of plastic and if there is any wind you can forget about placing it on that day.  Second how does one attach plastic sheeting to to smooth PVC pipes.  I used a conglomeration of duct tape and zip ties to attach my side flaps of plastic to the hoop frames.  Then using four squeeze clamps, duct tape and more zip ties I attach the top layer of plastic while leaving a front flap removable for ventilation. 


I will be adding a more detailed step by step guide on building a hoop house in my Sustainable Living How to Guide section of my blog.
  




No comments:

Post a Comment