Sunday, August 17, 2014

Testing Out a New Cover Crop Update.

A few weeks back I planted a fall cover crop of Oats and Field Peas into my garden in order to improve the soil quality.

I figured it was about time to post a update along with new photo to shows it progress as it grows.  I have been getting great growth out of it already and it will be very beneficial for my garden soil.  The combination of the grassy oats and the legume field peas will add organic matter and all important nitrogen to the soil profile.  I am trying to establish a completely organic and natural soil ecosystem that will support vigorous garden growth.  I have a good base but I know I have much to do in order to maximize my soil into the perfect growing machine.

Updated Photo

Planting Day

Updated Photo

Planting Day
I will be letting this cover crop grow up until frost kills it or if it starts to go to seed them I will have to chop it down or try a technique called roller crimping.  Which is essential used to flatten and crush stems of plants repeatedly as the roller bar goes over the crop.  The crushing action kills the plant while at the same time laying the crop down providing a thick mulch for the garden.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment